Smorg 2013 Open Call
Applications to become a food vendor at the Flea and Smorgasburg come in at a steady flow, and we're always meeting great new folks. But because of the annual winter hiatus for much of our food operation, this year we're taking January and February to focus on who to bring onboard for the April 2013 return outdoors.
Every food vendor who sells at the markets has not only applied online but also dropped off samples at our Dumbo office and talked to us about what they want to do. This screening/"try-out" process is what makes the quality of the markets so high.
So if you've ever schemed about turning your food-business dreams into a reality, now is the time to start the process with us. We'll still continue to accept new folks throughout the year, but for an April start before the markets get full, drop us a line soon.
A few tips:
- At try-outs, we strongly prefer food prepared in advance, rather than cooked in our office.
- Deliciousness is a baseline—presentation and professionalism are just as important.
- Familiarize yourself with our vendor lineup. We're loyal to our longtime folks and generally protect their turf.
- We like total newcomers as much as established entities.
- If accepted (note that spots are very competitive), in order to sell you'll need a Food Protection Certificate from the Health Department, insurance, and any relevant Fire Department permits.